Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Stormy Night and a Hole In One

Well guys, we didn't quite get our first 18 hole round of the season in tonight but we did get nine holes in before all hell broke loose.

The sky turned black in a hurry and blocked out the sun and we knew it was going to get bad just before the horn sounded to call us off the course.

I know our group was teeing off on hole #4 as the horn blasted. Lyle Williams and myself decided we had time to drive up to the green to retrieve the golf balls. Not the smartest move. As I reached down to grab the first ball the wind came through the trees like nothing I'd seen before. Tree limbs, leaves and branches began falling around us.

As we made our way across the bridge at hole #17 we stopped as we heard a crack. We looked up and watched as the top half of a pine tree snapped off in the wind and fell on the green next to the hole. Tom and Andy will have some repairs to do I'm guessing.

I'm usually pretty calm but I will admit I had some nerves working as we made it back to the shop to park the cart. It was certainly an experience and luckily everyone made it to the clubhouse safely. That's the most important thing.

Lost among the excitement of the storm was the fact that Michael Walker of the Fat Shafts jarred his second ever ace on hole #2 to claim the hole in one winnings which he generously used to purchase a round of drinks for those who stuck around. Thanks Mike and Congratulations.

As far as the scores go, not all score cards were turned in so once they are tracked down and the totals for the first nine are calculated, I will update the online standings. If you took a scorecard home with you, please return it to the clubhouse as soon as possible.

The Closest to the Pin prizes were yet to be ruled upon and I'm unaware who won the 50/50.

Don't forget we'll try for another 18 holes next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment